The iconic Rafael Nadal has withdrew from the Dubai Tennis and Qatar Open tournaments, leaving fans and the tennis community wondering what may be next for the ‘King of Clay’ ATP tennis mastro. The season didn’t start off very well for Nadal who sustained a hip injury at the Australian Open’s second round playing against Mackenzie McDonald last month.
He has also been nursing a foot ailment that has plaqued him for many years in his career. “Sometimes it’s frustrating. Sometimes it’s difficult to accept. Sometimes you feel super tired about all this stuff, in terms of injuries,” the multi-titled Spaniard says disgustingly.
The injured hip flexor doctors have expected with take Rafa up to eight weeks to have a total recovery. During the match with McDonald, ti was obvious of Nadal’s suffering. Mackenzie gave Nadal judos saying,”He’s trying to make the most of what he can do.
His body’s not what it used to be.” But in Rafa’s opponent’s eye he said that “I definitely think now is the best time to be playing him.” It’s merely for the win from Rafa which may not be such a difficult task anymore. “It’s a tough moment,” the Spaniard sadly said.
But bowing out of matches isn’t the first time for Rafa. He long ago admitted that he would do anything not to retire from a match he was playing because of injury or illness. Withdrawing and not even showing up no matter how difficult it is might prove mentally, might be better in the long-run.
With Nadal out of the Dubai and Qatar events gives other players a chance to perhaps go deep in these tournaments that were not allowed when Rafa played at his very best. But now things are changing. The Spaniard not showing at Dubai isn’t such a great disappointment for him career-wise since he’s played it four times before.
He has also gotten a title from the prestigious event. The Qatar Open in Doha, Nadal has performed in it eight times and went deep making three finals with capturing a title from the Middle Eastern event. Many are concerned about Nadal’s rankings with him not being able to make some tournaments.
The Dubai event happens the same time as the Mexican Open and not being accessible for either may cause his no. 6 rankings to plummet into the hundreds. AS for theATP tour’s high ranking players, the future may be shaky for even Novak Djokovic to appear in the Sunshine Double events.
He is fighting the bureaucracy on being allowed to enter the US despite not having took the mandatory COVID shot. President Biden will life the ban as of May 11, so the US Open for Djokovic is do-able. The Sunshine Double very well may not see Rafael Nadal or Novak Djokovic.
“I’m tired of talking about my body, ” Nadal says even during the Australian Open after he sustained a hip injury. If Rafa isn’t able to make Indian Wells, he isn’t the defending champion anyway, but more like the defending finalist.
Last year he lost to Taylor Fritz in straight sets. As for the Miami Open last year Nadal withdrew. He has never won the Miami tournament so trying to defend those two events aren’t really necessary.