John McEnroe says it will be “a complete joke” if Novak Djokovic is not allowed to compete at the Masters events in Indian Wells and Miami. Djokovic, 35, is in danger of missing out on the Sunshine Double for a second consecutive year due to his vaccine stance.
However, Djokovic recently requested a special permission to be granted to enter the United States for Indian Wells and Miami. “I think it’s a complete joke that he’s not allowed to play—to make a long story short. It’s absurd they threw him out of Australia last year.
I have had my vaccines. I respect that he’s chosen not to do it. I would have done it but that’s a whole other issue. But at this point, or even last year, he played in 2021 and then wasn’t allowed to come in 2022 someone explain that to me.
and now he’s still not able to play? It’s absurd, in my opinion. We’ll see what happens,” McEnroe said, per Tennis Now.
McEnroe wants Djokovic at the Sunshine Double
On Wednesday, Djokovic spoke with reporters in Belgrade. There, Djokovic said he is getting close to 100 percent and added he plans to compete in Dubai next week.
Regarding his participation in Indian Wells and Miami, Djokovic said he is still waiting for an answer from the US. “The injury is fixed, I’m getting close to 100 percent, things are looking very good and as a team we made the decision to go to Dubai.
I’m traveling tomorrow and I’ll do my best to go as far as possible. Ambitions are the highest in every tournament. As for the plans after that – I don’t know, it depends on the situation with America. I’m still waiting for an answer, I’d like to, I’m also preparing for a tour there, but we’ll see how things go in the next two weeks,” Djokovic said.